Mom Life

5 Must Read Books for the Crunchy Mama to Be

November 2, 2017

I’ve read all five of these books  from front to back and I recommend them wholeheartedly not just to the crunchy mama to be, but any future mama looking for some extra knowledge and preparedness during a very exciting, yet uncertain time in your motherhood journey.

The long journey of infertility treatments I had to my eventual pregnancy gave me a lot of time to research and find books I thought would enlighten, educate and motivate me to have the kind of pregnancy and birth I really wanted. Even though we had a very medicated and regimented procedure to become pregnant, I knew I wanted the rest of the journey to be a more natural and mindful way of things.

Birthing From Within: an Extra-Ordinary Guide to Childbirth Preparation by Pam England and Rob Horowitz

This was a very insightful read for me. It was so relatable and the section on pain management was invaluable. While much of the book is geared towards a home birth, it’s easily adaptable to a hospital or birthing center birth if that’s your path.

The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding by La Leche League International and Diane Wiessinger

Sooooo much solid information and instruction about breastfeeding in this book. I still use it much like a reference text when I have questions and concerns during my nursing journey. When I was feeling unbelievably frustrated and hopeless that we’d make it breastfeeding, looking up possible factors why were having trouble and solutions helped me persevere. It also encouraged me to seek out lactation consultants and local support groups when things weren’t working.

The Mindful Mom to Be by Lori Bregman

This was an easy read that complimented my already mindful way of living. Each chapter/section referred to a specific timeline in pregnancy and gave insights for healthy eating, exercise and mindfulness in preparation for becoming a mom.

Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin

I credit this book with giving me the motivation to want a natural and un-medicated birth and is a must read for all future mothers regardless of their birth plan. Reading the many amazing stories told by woman who naturally birthed was so inspirational. There was no sugar coating anything, but it just put the whole experience in perspective.

Mindful Birthing: Training the Mind, Body and Heart for Childbirth and Beyond by Nancy Bardacke

Another amazing resource to guide you through a natural birth. This book also gives insight to your future as a mindful parent. I found the pain management tips were spot on. I actually labored (unknowingly) all day at home the day I gave birth. This was possible because I took what I had read and applied the breathing and meditation techniques as needed.

What were some of your go-to pregnancy and childbirth books you read?

• Reply Jess November 2, 2017 at 5:43 pm

These are some great recommendations! I found that reading up before my son was born was so helpful! Especially for breastfeeding 😉

• Reply Sarah Noles November 3, 2017 at 8:53 am

What a great list. I’ll have to look into these!

• Reply Divya November 3, 2017 at 9:22 am

We aren’t trying YET, but that mindful mama book seems like it’s right up my alley!

• Reply Brittany Ferrell November 3, 2017 at 8:23 pm

These all look great! I did not realize how crunchy I was until having my daughter. Then all my crunch came out! I love reading all of the latest articles on attachment parenting, so the mindful parenting pick is really piqueing my interest!

• Reply Marie November 3, 2017 at 8:25 pm

Same here! It’s funny how motherhood honestly changes you.

• Reply Jamie November 3, 2017 at 11:33 pm

I read a book on the Bradley method before I had my first. Unfortunately my husband didn’t and I never went into labor so that didn’t work in my favor. But, these are some great suggestions and I’m saving this for next time because I really don’t want another epidural!!

• Reply Rebecca Krusee November 3, 2017 at 11:38 pm

Thanks for sharing…

• Reply Andrea November 3, 2017 at 11:49 pm

Oh I wish I had this list when I was pregnant! Great line up, thanks 😉

• Reply Shell November 4, 2017 at 7:24 pm

These are fabulous recommendations for mamas to be 🙂 I wish I’d a few of these books back when I had my boys.

• Reply Cheryl November 6, 2017 at 1:11 pm

My favorite book throughout pregnancy was the Childbearing Year by Susun Weed – combine that with my love for foraging and herbs… and well, I recommend it to everybody!

• Reply lauren November 6, 2017 at 7:29 pm

What a great list. I have a few expecting friends and now I know what to get them for shower gifts!

• Reply Edwin Prasetio November 6, 2017 at 10:19 pm

These books get me back in time years ago when I and my wife were about to be dad and mom. Those were really precious moments with joys and anxieties. As children are growing more now, I can feel how much the moments were so invaluable and priceless. So for moms to be, grab these books (y)

• Reply Katie November 7, 2017 at 6:53 am

Sounds like a great list of books for my older sister who’s due next year…should share this to her, thanks for sharing!

• Reply Rachael November 9, 2017 at 4:57 pm

I’d definitely like to check some of these out for baby #2! Whenever that may be, lol!

• Reply Ultimate List of Breastfeeding Essentials - my so called crunchy life November 13, 2017 at 7:04 am

[…] you’re interested in more pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding books read my my post: 5 Must Read Books for the Crunchy Mama to Be. (You don’t have to be crunchy to find these books useful, but it doesn’t […]