Essential Oils

So Fresh & So Clean with Lemon Essential Oil

September 17, 2017

Lemon is another favorite essential oil in my home. It’s perfect to use in your strive for non-toxic cleaning solutions. The fresh and invigoratingly clean scent of lemon leaves your home smelling so good and you can rest easy knowing there’s no harsh chemicals around your family.

Ways I use lemon essential oil in my home:

• In a spray bottle with water (I also use tea tree oil too and a little bit of vinegar) to clean countertops and surfaces in our kitchen and bathroom
  • A few drops in the washer if I’ve left wet clothes in there too long — a quick rinse with no soap has them smelling fresh again and ready to dry without getting that musty smell!
  • Great to polish and clean wood and silver — soak a cloth in lemon oil and then use to polish/clean
  • Can replace ‘Goo Be Gone’: a few drop of lemon oil mixed with a couple tablespoons of baking soda and little water — takes those sticky labels off in a cinch!
  • Diffuse for a fresh and clean scent

Not only is lemon great for cleaning, its amazingly fresh scent is great to use in a diffuser.

Some diffuser blends I love:

• 3 drops each Lemon & Lavender
  • 2 drops each Lemon, Lime, Grapefruit & Wild Orange
  • 3 drops each Lemon & Eucalyptus
  • 2 drops each Ylang Ylang & Peppermint, 1 drop Lemon

Have you tried cleaning with lemon essential oil? What’s one of your go-to uses for this oil?

• Reply Tami September 17, 2017 at 9:36 am

I am terrible about leaving clothes in the washer too long! I am definitely going to try adding some drops of lemon instead of rewashing.

• Reply Marie September 19, 2017 at 8:58 am

It’s been a life-saver for me!

• Reply Robyn Shaver September 17, 2017 at 9:54 am

First, lemon scent is one of my all-time favorite scents, it’s so refreshing and clean. Thank you for finding great uses for the oils!

• Reply Jaq September 18, 2017 at 1:16 am

I love lemon EO, it’s a staple for me! Thanks for sharing your different uses and different blends. Can’t wait to use them!

• Reply Marie September 19, 2017 at 8:55 am

You’re welcome, thanks for stopping by!

• Reply Sarah Althouse September 18, 2017 at 10:05 am

I need more lemon oil! I currently have peppermint and lavender in my diffuser at work.

• Reply Marie September 19, 2017 at 8:55 am

Mmmmm I can smell that sweet aroma now! I’m thinking of putting together a good autumn theme blend to bring to my office.

• Reply Divya September 18, 2017 at 10:08 am

Honestly, I just keep a bottle of lemon in every room! One drop on a countertop or anywhere brightens up the room almost immediately! Smells so fresh!

• Reply Marie September 19, 2017 at 8:54 am

That’s a great idea!

• Reply Kristin Cook September 18, 2017 at 12:13 pm

I love pretty much any citrus oil! It really does create immediate freshness!

• Reply Marie September 19, 2017 at 8:54 am

Yes, I’m partial to citrus scents as well. Wild Orange is sooo dreamy.

• Reply Audrey September 18, 2017 at 5:56 pm

I love lemon essential oil! I never thought about using it in the laundry. I’m definitely going to try it out especially with my towels. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Rhonda Swan September 18, 2017 at 6:25 pm

Cheers to a great and unstoppable post!

• Reply Morgan | The Pursuit of Play September 18, 2017 at 9:47 pm

I love the spray bottle idea! When I run out of my Thieves Cleaner, I’m going to give that a shot. Thanks!

• Reply Marie September 19, 2017 at 8:52 am

Great! Let me know if you like it!

• Reply Gina September 18, 2017 at 9:56 pm

Lemon is one of my favorite scents. I use lemon essential oil with water and a little Castille soap to clean my kitchen.

• Reply Marie September 19, 2017 at 8:52 am

That sounds like a great cleaner!

• Reply Jennifer @ Because Food Is Love September 19, 2017 at 12:27 am

Lemon is one of my most used essential oils. However I didn’t know it could be used to remove labels. Thanks for the tip!

• Reply Marie September 19, 2017 at 8:52 am

Any time! It’s so amazing how essential oils have so many uses and can replace all the gross chemical laden solutions we’ve all been accustomed to.

• Reply Rosy September 19, 2017 at 1:34 am

Loved this post, have never used but now I want to! ๐Ÿ˜

• Reply Marie September 19, 2017 at 8:51 am

Thank you! Feel free to ask any questions you may have about using essential oils.

• Reply Bailey September 19, 2017 at 2:15 pm

I absolutely love essential oils! My favorite right now is vetiver.

• Reply Marie September 19, 2017 at 2:18 pm

That’s one on my wish list to buy next month, it’s an ingredient in several rollerball fragrances I want to try.

• Reply Ciara September 21, 2017 at 6:52 am

I love the scent of lemon, we used to have a lemon plant in the house. I will definitely try this! Thanks

• Reply Carolyn | The Organic Gypsy September 21, 2017 at 9:41 am

I loooove essential oils. But have never thought to buy lemon! So odd. This is a great post. Thank you. Great tips. Will have to stock up. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Dagmara September 21, 2017 at 11:34 am

Definitely love the idea of mixing it with other essential oils for diffusing. I love mine with grapefruit or just lemon grass. I also like putting a few drops into the disposal after not so pleasant smell of onion. ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you for sharing.

• Reply Maria - Dapper House Designs September 21, 2017 at 11:49 am

I just started using essential oils and I love them! I really like the idea of using a couple of drops of lemon oil if the clothes have sat a little too long in the washer instead of rewashing! Such an awesome idea that I will have to be sure to try!

• Reply Kori Evans September 21, 2017 at 9:51 pm

Lemon is my absolute favorite oil on Earth!!! Thank you for these examples!! Im pinning this so I can refer to it over the weekend!!

• Reply Megan | Mama on Main Street September 22, 2017 at 3:55 pm

I LOVE lemon essential oil. I’ve never used it to as “goo be gone” before, but that is such a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Gayyemko October 2, 2017 at 4:58 am

Essential oils are good for health.

• Reply Gena Hassan October 9, 2017 at 1:05 pm

I love natural cleaning options. I also use eucalyptus and melaleuca (tea tree oil) in my cleaning.

• Reply Kelly Land October 9, 2017 at 5:05 pm

I’m just starting to use essential oils and love the idea of lemon!!

• Reply iBeth October 12, 2017 at 4:50 pm

The trick for the washer sounds great and I will try it. I didn’t know that lemons could get that nasty smell out.

• Reply Kayla Uimari October 12, 2017 at 4:55 pm

Lemon oil is seriously amazing! I just did a post on essential oils, and I love them so much now that I’m getting back into them. Thanks for this post I love it!

• Reply Jennifer October 13, 2017 at 3:55 pm

I absolutely love the scent of lemon. Thanks for the tips!

• Reply Lamees October 13, 2017 at 4:02 pm

I always rub my elbows, knees and face after squeezing for lemon juice โค๏ธโค๏ธ

• Reply Jessica Tejera October 13, 2017 at 4:42 pm

My mom used to use lemon oils growing up and it was the best smell in the world. She would actually take lemons of our lemon tree and squeeze the peel to get enough oil to rub on her skin. It helped clean wounds and heal them. She also used it for cooking. The meals were so delicious. I can’t wait to get some lemon EO to use. I want to try putting it in my wax warmer or an EO diffuser. I think the smell is so amazing.

• Reply Bushra October 15, 2017 at 7:56 am