Seasonal

5 Must Do Fall Activities!

September 11, 2017

It’s that time of year again! With the cooler nights, crisp mornings and warm days, it’s beginning to feel like fall already here in New England. While summer is most definitely my favorite season, fall is a close second. Sweater weather is a favorite time of year – because it feels nice to be so cozy, but it’s not so cold you’re freezing. From trips to a local farm to pet the animals, to fair-like festivals with yummy treats and spooky sights, fall in New England is like none-other.

I’m so excited to share some items from our fall bucket list!

Corn Maze

We have a few different options in our area to partake in this activity. Corn mazes are so fun with the kids. There’s often cute displays set up within the maze for adorable photo-ops. And there’s plenty of people around, so don’t be afraid you’ll get lost.

If you’re local to the Western MA/Southern VT & NH area — I highly recommend Gaine’s Farm in Guilford VT. They have SO much to do! There’s farm animals, a fun ‘cow train’ that cruises around the farm, lots of food and games for the kids too! Their corn maze even gets a bit scarier after dark.

Apple Picking

This is always a fun activity with our family. I remember apple picking all throughout my childhood — and soon after the amazing aroma of a fresh pie baking! It’s a great place to take adorable family photos and spend a quality day together having fun. We’re planning on heading to an orchard this upcoming weekend and I’m SO excited. I’m planning on also baking my first apple pie myself with Fota as she recently said to me “Mom, I really want to try pie”.

A few places I know of in the Southern VT/NH and upper Western MA area are:

Pine Hill Orchard in Colrain, MA

Alyson’s Orchard in Walpole, NH

Apex Orchard in Shelburne, MA

Clarkdale Fruit Farms in Deerfield, MA

Leaf Peeping

One bonus of having truly four seasons is the annual art show mother nature bestows on us. Every fall the trees and bushes transform from lush green to vibrant hues of orange, red, yellow and gold. It truly is breathtaking. There’s even several local chartered bus tours specifically for leaf viewing, if you don’t want to fight the traffic. When I lived in southern VT I dreaded Friday afternoon traffic on I-91 north from mid-September through October because it was oftentimes a madhouse of “leaf peepers” heading north for the spectacular viewing opportunities.

Pumpkin Festivals & Pumpkin Carving

Any fall festival wouldn’t be complete without all the awesome pumpkins! We have several fall festivals in our area, but one that always took the prize was the Keene Pumpkin Festival. This festival was HUGE when I was a kid and was even featured on HGTV’s Pumpkin Wars! Unfortunately, the festival was sidelined for a couple years (and moved further upstate to Laconia NH) because of security issues with unruly college-aged parties in nearby neighborhoods. But, it looks like they’re bringing it back this year and I’m excited to check it out with my family.

Carving pumpkins is a yearly tradition in our home. Last year Fota was so excited and amazed at this seasonal activity. She couldn’t believe the final result once we had it lighted.

Other area fall festivals include the Monadnock Pumpkin Festival in Keene NH at the Cheshire Fairgarounds, and the Great Falls Festival (formely known as Pumpkinfest) in Turners Falls, MA.

Haunted Hayride / Haunted House

This is definitely something for the older kids and adults – as these spooky delights can get pretty scary. With live action characters and creatures screaming at you, chasing you down hallways and grabbing you from behind — these activities aren’t for the faint of heart.

Again — I highly recommend Gaine’s Farm — they’ve had an amazing haunted hayride for decades. When I was in high school it was soooo much fun to go as many times as we could and get the scare of a lifetime. Another popular haunted hayride is at McCray’s Farm in South Hadley, MA. There’s also a newer frightful placed called DementedFX in Holyoke, MA that’s been all the rage.

The leaves are already starting to turn here, and the nights are getting cold. Fall is a magical season here in New England with so many fun family-friendly activities to keep you busy all season long!

What are some of your favorite local seasonal festivities?

• Reply Emily @ Pizza & Pull-Ups September 12, 2017 at 7:22 am

Yeah fall! I am super excited to take the kiddos apple and pumpkin picking.

• Reply Andy schwartz September 12, 2017 at 1:15 pm

My hubs and I are visiting New Hampshire in a few weeks and I’m so excited!! Can’t wait to see the beautiful fall colors we don’t really get down here. Your post just makes me happy!

• Reply Marie September 12, 2017 at 1:25 pm

Oh it’ll be perfect by then — enjoy your visit!

• Reply Vanessa September 12, 2017 at 1:24 pm

Wonderful list! Cant wait for fall to really start!!

• Reply Courtney Kramer September 12, 2017 at 1:34 pm

I love fall so much! I’m so grateful to live in southern Ontario where we can experience the four seasons. Your area sounds like it has a lot of great fall activities to enjoy! I wish I was local to check out some of these places! I’m also new to the area where I live, so I’m looking forward to visiting some new farms this year.

• Reply Heather September 12, 2017 at 3:15 pm

Fall is definitely my favorite time of year! We are excited about corn mazes and pumpkin patches too!

• Reply Brenda September 12, 2017 at 7:51 pm

My daughter has been talking about the corn maze for weeks now. We love fall!

• Reply Laura September 12, 2017 at 9:58 pm

These are all awesome! I LOVE fall and CAN’T WAIT to go apple picking with our girl!

• Reply Bailey September 12, 2017 at 10:56 pm

This is my favorite time of year. It’s so beautiful and there is so much to do.

• Reply Satish Mutyala September 13, 2017 at 6:41 am

Nice read. I like to Apple and Cherry picking. This post makes me happy.

• Reply Kristine September 13, 2017 at 10:04 am

I want to do all those things!! I’m so excited for fall and can’t wait for the leaves to start changing here in Indianapolis!

• Reply Crystal // Dreams, etc. September 13, 2017 at 12:03 pm

Haunted hayrides and mazes are my favorite! A friend and I are hoping that one year we’ll be able to go a different one each weekend. So far the weather hasn’t cooperated with us, so I don’t know if that’ll happen. It probably would have last year, but I had prior commitments for two of the weekends, so I’m purposely leaving October open this year in case the weather is as nice as it was last year. 😂

I’d really like to go apple picking this year, too! I should start planning that. This is a great list of ideas!

• Reply Meg Smidt September 13, 2017 at 12:09 pm

I am desperately searching for fall here in the desert! I think I might need to take trip to knock out your list!

• Reply Jamie September 15, 2017 at 8:00 pm

These are all such great ideas! I loooooove apple picking and pumpkin patch grazing. I think the only one I could do without is the haunted house but I do love haunted tours that are spooky but no one chases you with a chainsaw lol great list!

• Reply Claudia September 15, 2017 at 11:12 pm

I always forget about apple picking! I’ve been once and it was such a great bonding experience for me and my kids. Loved the photos in your post!

• Reply This Blended Home of Mine September 16, 2017 at 4:35 am

These are such awesome ideas! I wish we could do all of it! I’m looking forward to apple picking and working in the kitchen with them – yum!

• Reply Helen Little September 16, 2017 at 6:21 am

It’s totally on my bucket list to visit New England in the fall (I’m in the UK) – there are so many things to do, which you’ve rounded up brilliantly! LOVE pumpkin patches!

• Reply Anisa September 16, 2017 at 9:06 am

I love fall, and the activities for it ! It’s starting to to feel like fall in New York too and I can’t wait because I can take my baby to corn mazes and go apple picking too

• Reply Bethany | Biracial Bookworms September 17, 2017 at 3:55 pm

I am totally new to living in a place with changing colors and I am so looking forward to it. Leaf peeping is definitely a new concept to me!;)

• Reply Marie September 19, 2017 at 8:57 am

Oh you’ll love it. Great family photo opportunities too!

• Reply Ashley Griffith September 20, 2017 at 9:28 pm

We do all of these except for the haunted stuff, haha. I’m a scaredy cat 😉

• Reply Marie September 20, 2017 at 9:32 pm

To be honest, I haven’t done a haunted activity for some time, but I know my tween will be wanting to wither this year or next and I’m kind of nervous 🤣