Essential Oils

Relax & Soothe with Lavender Oil

September 5, 2017

Lavender is consistently associated with sleep and relaxation and it’s no wonder why. It’s soothing aroma is calming and invokes restfulness. It’s a great oil to have in your home. We use it regularly to freshen the air and diffuse at night before bedtime to wind everyone down. I’ve always been drawn to lavender scented bath soaps and lotions, and now that I’m a regular essential oil user, I use it in even more ways!

Here are some the ways we use lavender essential oil in our home:

• Use a drop in lotion to give feeling of relaxation
  • Use in spray bottle with water on linens & mattress or rub on bottoms of feet before bed to aide in restful sleep
  • Diffuse for relaxation or to get rid of stale odors
  • Great to use in DIY skincare products like lotion, bath scents & scrubs
  • Use topically to soothe itchiness/swelling from bug bites & stings (works well with tea tree)

I actually just used it the other day because I was gardening and was stung by a wasp a few times on my arm. I put a single drop on my arm and rubbed it into my skin before applying a cold compress. The swelling reduced dramatically and the achy sting subsided soon after.

Here are some diffuser blends I use:

• 3 drops Lavender & 3 drops Eucalyptus
  • 2 drops each of Lavender, Lemon & Peppermint
  • 4 drops Lavender & 3 drops Tangerine
  • 3 drops Lavender & 3 drops Bergamot

It truly does amaze me the many uses for essential oils and the more I learn and use them myself, the more I want to share that knowledge with others.

Do you use lavender essential oil?

• Reply Emily @ Pizza & Pull-Ups September 5, 2017 at 8:10 am

Thanks for this, I use essential oils in our diffuser all the time, but haven’t really branched out into other uses yet.

• Reply Robbi September 5, 2017 at 8:21 am

I love using essential oils! But it is important to use them safely. Using oils neat, without a carrier oil, no matter the purity, can lead to lifelong sensitivities. I would highly recommend http://www.thehippyhomemaker.com/introduction-essential-oil-safety/
    And

• Reply Marie September 5, 2017 at 8:28 am

Great info Robbi, thanks for sharing. There are some oils that are known to be mild enough and are safe to use neat: Lavender, Sandlewood, Tea Tree & Frankincense are a few that I’m aware of. Of course, it’s always important to do your own research before using essential oils and decide for yourself and your family how your comfortable using them.

• Reply Amanda September 5, 2017 at 8:22 am

Thank you for this! I love lavender and as I type I can smell it now! Thanks for the tips!

• Reply Kristi September 5, 2017 at 11:18 am

Ooooh! I’ll have to try these combos especially the lavender and bergamot. I’ve got lavender and lime diffusing right now.

• Reply Robyn Shaver September 5, 2017 at 9:51 pm

I’m in LOVE with lanender!! You better believe this post is going on Pinterest.

• Reply Rachel September 6, 2017 at 8:30 am

I’ve been using roll on lavender oil as part of my nighttime routine, but I’m interested in branching out to the diffuser. Thanks for the tips!

• Reply Victoria September 6, 2017 at 9:28 am

Lavender oil is my most favoured that I use in creating relaxing atmosphere and for odour control especially mixed with eucalyptus. Will try the other tips. Thanks.

• Reply Kristine September 6, 2017 at 11:19 am

I absolutely love lavender! I’ve never made my own essential oils… definitely want to try!

• Reply Jennifer Corter September 6, 2017 at 12:45 pm

Wow, I’d never heard rubbing it on the bottoms of your feet promotes restful sleep! I’m gonna have to try that!

• Reply Holly September 7, 2017 at 7:20 am

I love lavender oil! I’ll have to try some of these combos!

• Reply Shay September 7, 2017 at 9:35 am

I’ve been wanting to use oils for my home for a while now. So many great benefits and uses. Unfortunately, they can be so expensive. I’m still going to try them, soon, I hope. I’ll definitely be back to your site for more great ideas once I get some oils. Thanks for sharing your blends!

• Reply Alicia September 7, 2017 at 12:20 pm

Thanks for this post! My favorite essential oil is lavender. Now I know other great ways to use and pair it with other oils. Great tips!

• Reply Laura September 7, 2017 at 2:41 pm

I love the smell of lavender! We’ve used the trick of adding it to a spray bottle with water for both of our daughters. My oldest suffers from insomnia and anxiety, and this seems to help relax her.
    I’m also a huge fan of tea tree oil. I’ll have to check your other posts to see if you’ve written about it. It has so many uses!

• Reply Wyntre September 7, 2017 at 7:53 pm

These are great suggestions! Thank you for giving me some new ideas I had not thought of before!

• Reply Carol September 7, 2017 at 9:27 pm

I use essential oils, but lavender is one I have a hard time with the smell. I like it when it is in other blends. I love diffusing oils, such an easy way to enjoy the benefits.

• Reply Jamie September 8, 2017 at 10:04 pm

Lavender is amazing!! Thanks so much for sharing the diffuser recipes ❤️❤️❤️

• Reply Melissa September 8, 2017 at 10:48 pm

I LOVE lavender oil… we use it on so many things at home too. I even put in our fur baby’s bath – LOL!

• Reply Meghan September 9, 2017 at 6:10 am

I am going to try this!

• Reply Nikki September 9, 2017 at 5:41 pm

This was so interesting. I have heard so many good things about oils. I so need to try the lavender one. Thanks for writing this.

• Reply Shell September 10, 2017 at 10:48 am

I love using oils but I never heard of putting it on bottom of feet to promote better sleep… definitely trying that tonight!!

• Reply Edwin Prasetio September 11, 2017 at 10:00 am

Yes I use lavender oil to get rid of mosquitoes, especially in summer. This helped so much and I could have been sleepless all night long surrounded by mosquitoes I I hadn’t brought it with me..

• Reply Bevin September 13, 2017 at 7:50 am

I could not live without Lavender. It is the “Swiss Army Knife” of essential oils. Not only is it beneficial for humans, it is also very calming for dogs.

• Reply Sasha September 21, 2017 at 11:02 am

I love lavender – it’s so calming!

• Reply Lexi September 21, 2017 at 12:10 pm

Wow! I had no idea that lavender oil could help with wasp bites! I will definitely be getting some to try these tricks!