Essential Oils

10 Uses for Peppermint Oil

August 28, 2017

Peppermint is one of my favorite essential oils.

It truly is SO versatile.ย If you’re new to essential oils, my first recommendation would be peppermint.

It is a must-have in your medicine cabinet!

• Use topically for muscle pain*
  • Inhale for anti-nausea, clearing of clogged sinuses
  • Fever reducer: dilute with coconut oil and rub on back of neck and bottoms of feet*
  • Aid in allergy relief by diffusing during bouts of allergy congestion
  • Mix with lavender and apply to bug bites to relieve itchiness*
  • Apply to forehead and temples to relieve headache pain*

It is a natural insect & rodent repellant

• Put a few drops around the area where you’ve been having rodent problems (I use this in our kitchen cabinets and around the trash can)
  • Use in a mixture of other oils like lavender & eucalyptus for DIY bug spray (I also have a recipe here)

Diffuse in your Home / Office / Classroom

• Gives a sense of alertness (quick pick-me-up)
  • Improves concentration

*It’s important to remember to dilute essential oils with a carrier oil like coconut oil or a lotion you already have when using topically to avoid skin irritation.

These are just a handful of easy and helpful uses for peppermint oil. As you can see it’s a versatile oil that can be used in a variety of settings. I’m so thankful I was gifted this oil by a friend as a house-warming gift, because its truly changed my life and the well-being of my family. This oil is a must during the colder winter months especially in cold & flu season when everyone seems to get the sniffles at least once a week.

If you’re interested in learning more about this oil or essential oils in general, contact me and we can chat!

Do you love peppermint oil? What’s your favorite use for this oil?

• Reply Alyx August 29, 2017 at 8:24 am

I take a big wiff of peppermint right before bed. I feel like it really opens up my airways.

My faves are lavender, frankincense, and grapefruit. I diffuse quite often at work and use peppermint to stimulate my brain!

• Reply Marie August 29, 2017 at 10:27 pm

I’ve only been using oils for about a year and it’s truly amazing how versatile they really are!

• Reply Leah Kelley August 29, 2017 at 8:49 am

If it relieves headache pain, I’ll definitely give it a try!

• Reply Paula @ I'm Busy Being Awesome August 29, 2017 at 12:18 pm

I love the smell of peppermint. I had NO IDEA it had so many different uses; I had only heard of it as an anti nausea remedy. So cool. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Marie August 29, 2017 at 10:25 pm

I swear I learn something new about my oils on a daily basis. They truly are amazing!

• Reply Laura August 29, 2017 at 12:52 pm

I didn’t know it could help with headaches too, I sometimes use lavender for that. Essential oils are kind of amazing!

• Reply Marie August 29, 2017 at 10:26 pm

I completely agree. Lavender is a great stress reducer absolutely!

• Reply Jill August 30, 2017 at 9:57 am

I love peppermint too. I add a drop or two into my water bottle w lemon wedges. Mmmmmmm

• Reply Amanda August 30, 2017 at 10:53 am

Hi there! I’ve nominated you for the Blogger Recognition Award! ๐Ÿ™‚ Check out your mention here: http://legallymommy.com/2017/08/30/ive-been-nominated-for-the-blogger-recognition-award/ and be sure to return the favour! ๐Ÿ™‚ Congratulations!

Amanda @ Legally Mommy

• Reply Bailey August 30, 2017 at 4:34 pm

I love using peppermint for headaches. It’s such a great little trick.

• Reply donna August 31, 2017 at 5:01 pm

I usually put mine in water to help me drink more. I had no idea that you could use it for headaches as well! Thank you for an awesome list with new to me uses!

• Reply Robbi September 5, 2017 at 8:23 am

Just be careful using it around kids under 10. It contains a constituent that can cause trouble in breathing in yououng children.

• Reply candy October 6, 2017 at 9:05 am

Peppermint is one essential oil I always have around. You mentioned a few things peppermint can do that I didn’t know so very helpful.

• Reply Marie October 6, 2017 at 9:06 am

Awesome! Glad I could help!

• Reply Nicole | Glamorously You October 6, 2017 at 10:07 am

I didn’t know you could use it as a bug repellent! I always get eaten alive when I’m outside (doesn’t help that I live in Florida too lol) and regular bug spray never helps. Thanks for the tip ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Trish October 6, 2017 at 12:58 pm

I honestly couldn’t make it thru each day without my peppermint oil. I use to get headaches often and since I got my necklace diffuser, peppermint oil is with me everyday. โ™ฅ

• Reply Kristin October 6, 2017 at 1:30 pm

I love it to help clear out sinuses! Peppermint is such a wonderful oil!

• Reply ChrissyAdventures October 6, 2017 at 2:51 pm

Growing up with an herbalist mother, she would send us outside to play and catch us just sitting in the yard eating, LOL. I’m so glad you’re sharing the healing properties of peppermint.

• Reply Brittany Ferrell October 6, 2017 at 7:59 pm

I am totally in love with peppermint oil, too! It has been such a lifesaver when I feel like my head is going to explode. I was in a car accident a few years back and the tension in my neck just makes my head pound. A few drops of peppermint oil mixed with a little coconut oil and I actually feel human!

• Reply Marie October 6, 2017 at 10:12 pm

Yes! I have a rollerball I keep in my desk at work and itโ€™s pr

• Reply Marie October 6, 2017 at 10:14 pm

YES! I have a rollerball I keep in my desk at work. Definitely has calmed me down when I start getting a stress headache.

• Reply kimberlee October 9, 2017 at 1:50 am

Love me some oils! We use peppermint and lavender for my daughter’s allergies (dander, dust, etc). I put it on the bottom of her feet and that takes care of it! Yay!