I’ve been nominated for the Liebster Award!
Since I started my blogging journey exactly one month ago, I’ve seen posts here and there where other bloggers were being nominated for the Liebster Award. I didn’t really know what it was or how to be nominated until I was nominated by Amanda at Sweet Mommyhood this week. THANK YOU AMANDA! When I saw that I had been tagged on Instagram I was dubious as my blog is brand spanking new and I’ve yet to gain a large following. But that’s what the Liebster Award is all about — helping to put new bloggers like me on the blogging map!
What is the Liebster Award?
This award is meant to recognize new bloggers by helping them gain a larger audience and “meet” other members of the blogging community. It’s awarded to bloggers with less than 200 readers.
Nominated? Here’s what to do next:
- Thank your fellow blogger that nominated you and post a link to their blog
- Post the award on your blog either in a post or on the sidebar (or both!)
- Write a 150-300 word about your favorite blog and post a link to that blog
- List 10 random facts about yourself
- Nominate 5-11 blogs you feel deserve the award that have less than 200 followers
- List these rules in your post (more info and full details about the award can be found here)
- Inform your nominees and provide them a link to your post
- Answer the questions posted at the bottom of this post
Who Nominated Me?
A big THANK YOU and shout out goes to Amanda at Sweet Mommyhood who nominated me! Amanda has an adorable daughter A she features in many of her posts. I love seeing their outings and adventures! Amanda also has some great info on baby led weaning — something I did with my own son and would recommend to any and everyone. It’s so amazing to “meet” other mom bloggers in the blogging world who share your passion for parenting and sharing such fun and valuable information. Amanda is also opening an in-home daycare which sounds so fun and I’m sure her little kiddos will have a great time with her.
My Favorite Blog
Since starting my blog last month, I’ve been sucked into SO MANY BLOGS and have learned about so many new bloggers. It’s mind-boggling just how many bloggers are out there — and yet everyone is so unique in their own way. Lately, I’ve been gushing over every post by Corey at The Nostalgia Diaries. All of her posts are so relatable and give me that tingle of nostalgia and give me that “light at the end of the tunnel” kind of feeling if it’s been a rough day. I’ve started following the Everyday Nostalgia weekly series and I’m blown away. It’s so inspiring and uplifting for me. It’s given me ideas of things I want to do in my own life with my children. I just LOVE her handwritten journal she starting writing for her daughter many years ago. I’ve always been a paper and pen journal writer, but to be honest this while motherhood thing has gotten in the way. If you’re looking for a daily dose of feel good, inspiring content — check it out!
Questions from Amanda:
What is the best memory you have experienced while traveling?
This would have to be meeting my husband’s family when we’ve traveled to Senegal. Never in my wildest dreams would I think I’d really get to go to Africa. And to have the ability to really be there in the present and everyday life — not shacked up in a fancy hotel and being touristy. My favorite parts of the couple trips I’ve been there is the children. I honestly just want to play, sing, talk to them all day.
What is the most exciting thing that has happened to your blog since starting it?
For me the most exciting thing is the support from my friends and family and also from other bloggers. I’ve joined some facebook groups where I’ve stumbled upon other bloggers that are so inspirational. Also, getting nominated for this award is pretty cool!
What is the inspiration for the name of your blog?
I came up with My So Called Crunchy Life because I wanted something that was catchy and familiar but still unique and still captured the idea I wanted for my content. I’m by no means a full-blown everything organic and natural kind of person — but I strive to do my best to keep my family safe and learn about new ways of parenting and trying to implement a more natural lifestyle.
What is one of your favorite parts about being a mom?
Oh, this is a hard one. I love so many aspects of motherhood. I really love just watching the evolution of my children. My daughter came here to the US last March not knowing a single word in English. She’s now a thriving tween, with a great group of friends, loves school, talks a mile a minute and is such a joy. My son is 15 months now, and to see how he discovers new things is so fun. Watching his personality come through and shine bright warms my heart.
If you had one super-power, what would it be and why?
I’d love to get the little fairies’ magic wands from Disney’s Sleeping Beauty and be able to tell my bucket, mop and broom to clean my whole house on the regular. That’s one aspect of adulting/parenting/motherhood that I really need to work on. There’s just never enough hours in my day to get everything I want done housework-wise, and more often than not I’m feeling like I’ll never catch up.
What is that one post made by you that you like the most and why?
I currently have less than 20 posts right now up on my blog. I’ve tried to vary the content to cover a variety of aspects of my life. However, the one post I’m most proud of would be Fed is Always Best which is a post I wrote about my breastfeeding journey. Before I even became pregnant I knew I wanted to breastfeed. Unfortunately I was ill-prepared for how much of a struggle breastfeeding can be. This post really digs deep into feelings I had and how I overcame the hardships.
What inspired you to start your blog?
I had been toying with the idea of starting a blog for a couple years. But I wasn’t exactly sure how to get started. Then I’d doubt myself and wonder if anyone would really follow my journey? I honestly just want my blog to be a reflection of my lifestyle and hopefully inspire and help other like-minded moms and dad. I’ve been chronicling my life in a paper journal for the last 20 years, so I guess it’s just another form of documenting my life, but now openly sharing with everyone to see. I finally just said the heck with it and followed through and I had my site up and running in a weekend! Now I wonder why I didn’t start it years ago?!
Summer or Winter?
Summer for sure. Hands down. I am a sun worshipper. While I do love cuddling up with lots of blankets and watching snow fall outside, I’ll choose summer all day every day if I could.
For what in your life do you feel most grateful?
My son. I struggled for several years with infertility. I honestly was at a point where I doubted I’d ever get to be pregnant and have a child of my own. And then when I finally did — my pregnancy was the most crazy rollercoaster ride. It seemed like every week there were more issues or concerns, blah blah blah. But here we are today and my son is absolutely perfect. And you know what? I’d do it all over again. Being his mom is the most amazing experience.
What is your favorite dish?
This would absolutely have to be my version of a Senegalese dish I call Yassa Toubab. My husband made me this dish on one of our first dates and I’ve been improving it ever since. I even got to cook it for my Senegalese family on one of my trips and it was a hit. While it is a great cold weather warm and hearty meal — I enjoy it even in the dead of summer. It’s got so much flavor and colors and just really delicious. If you want to learn more — here’s the recipe.
10 Facts About Me!
- I LOVE live music. If I could go to a new show everyday, I’d be on board!
- I have the same group of amazing friends I’ve had since age 10. They are truly the best people on this planet.
- Gardening is a major stress reliever for me. Whether it’s a full blown veggie garden in the summer, or pruning my houseplants throughout the winter — I need plants in my life.
- Which brings me to my day job — I’m an office manager at a wholesale nursery. We sell perennials. I don’t work with the plants at all – but it’s nice to be around them all year and I’ve learned A LOT. January 2018 will mark my 14th anniversary at the company.
- If I could get away with wearing open-toed shoes all year round — I would. Unfortunately, that doesn’t fly here in New England from about October – April.
- My favorite color is blue — not a specific shade, but all shades. My home is usually a neutral base with hints of blue here and there.
- I always dread doing these “facts about me” types of lists. I’m always second-guessing what I should share.
- I met my husband at a ‘night-club’ in Amherst, MA during college. I knew that night he was ‘the one’. It took us a few years to figure that out though.
- I love creating. Whether it’s a pretty planner layout that only I see, a craft or DIY project with the kids, home decor stuff or now this blog — I love making stuff.
- We moved to our (hopefully) forever home last December. It’s a big old farmhouse with so much character and charm and I couldn’t be more excited to raise our family there.
Who Am I Nominating?
Congratulations to the following bloggers:
Tanya at From Cookies to Camp
Kailey at The Haphazard Housewife
Dorothy at Dot’s Destinations
Mike & Jenn at Our Life on the Cheap
Jyneffer at The Farming Momma
So, if you accept this nomination, here are your questions to answer:
- What’s your favorite season?
- What are your hopes and dreams for your blog?
- How has blogging impacted/changed your life?
- Where was your most favorite vacation or getaway?
- What’s one of your guilty pleasures?
- What’s something you’ve read on another blog that you really want to try out for yourself?
- What’s your favorite food?
- What’s your favorite song?
- What’s your favorite social media platform?
- What’s something that the blogging world as taught you?
I hope I got everything covered here. That was quite the post – but so fun! I’m so grateful to have been nominated. Thanks again Amanda!